Pereskia godseffiana is commonly called Barbados, Spanish or West Indies Gooseberry, Lemon Vine, Sweet Mary, Blade Apple, Rose or Leaf Cactus
Pereskia is native to the rain forests of South America, but, nonetheless, is a true member of the cacti family. This cactus starts out as a heavily thorned, erect, woody shrub, and then spreads out to run and vine. Left unchecked, it will easily climb to cover a true.
The leaves are cactus like and are a bright golden yellow. The new growth begins burgundy and fades to peach. The coloration will vary depending on light levels.
This plant flowers in the summer and fall. The flowers range in color from white to creamy yellow tinged pink, and have a light somewhat lemony fragrance. An edible fruit follows the flowers. The fruit is commonly used to make jam in Jamaica.
Pereksia is a unique item and makes a great conversation piece. It is frequently grown in hanging baskets, or hanging over a wall or fence.
Its thorny habit makes it useful as a boundary planting to discourage intruders.
Condition: One (1) Well rooted, starter size plant growing and shipped in a 4 inch diameter plastic pot. Plant will be a minimum of about 6 to 8 inches tall and unlikely to have bloom or bud at the time of shipping.
*Limited Conditional Warranty: Warranty is limited to guaranteeing plants will arrive safely and in good and healthy condition, and is conditioned on Seller receiving prompt notice (within 24 hours of delivery) of any problem with the condition accompanied by photo validation.
No other additional, extended or long term Warranty is expressed or implied.
- Brand: Emerald Goddess Gardens
- Common Name: Tropical Cactus
- Bloom Form: Single
- Mature Size: 8 feet
- Fragrance: Light lemony
- Suggested Uses: Feature, Focal, Boundary, Accent
- House Plant Adapative: Yes, but may require supplemental light
- Country of Origin: USA
- Limited Conditional Warranty: Healthy Arrival
- Extended Long Term Warranty: None
- Manufacturer:Emerald Goddess Gardens TM
- Climate: Tropical
- Color: Yellow peach flower, burgundy peach leaves
- Special Features: Easy to grow, bright foliage, scented flowers, edible fruit
- Species: Pereskia godseffiana
- Sunlight: Full sun to light shade
- USDA Hardiness Zone: 9, 10, 11
- Watering: Moderate