The Ironwood or Tree of Life (Lignum vitea) is a rare, hard to find species that is native to the Florida Keys. It is rarely seen any more in the wild due to over harvesting for the dense oily wood that is very popular for wood working.
The wood from this tree is so dense and oily that it was once used as bearings for submarines.
It is a slow growing, small statured tropical tree that produces beautiful true blue flowers. The color is unique to this species.
The slow growth and small mature size of the Tree of Life makes it an excellent choice for tropical urban lots, garden pots, and Bonsai culture.
Due to environmental pressure from development, this species will likely eventually only be found in cultivated settings, as it is disappearing from the native habitat.
This tree is very sensitive to cold temperatures, especially when young. While it is frequently grown as a Bonsai form, or Garden Pot in colder climates. Gardeners in those areas are urged to delay ordering until Spring.
Best placement is in light shade.
This plant is an endangered species. Plants offered for sale are cultivated in greenhouse conditions and no part is harvested from the wild, and are legal to sell and ship with no known restrictions.
Condition: One (1) Well rooted, starter size plant growing and shipped in a 4 inch diameter plastic pot. Plant will be a minimum of about 6 to 8 inches tall and unlikely to have bloom or bud at the time of shipping.
*Limited Conditional Warranty: Warranty is limited to guaranteeing plants will arrive safely and in good and healthy condition, and is conditioned on Seller receiving prompt notice (within 24 hours of delivery) of any problem with the conditio accompanied by photo validation. No other additional, extended or long term Warranty is expressed or implied.
- Brand: Emerald Goddess Gardens
- Common Name: Iron Wood, Tree of Life
- Bloom Form: Recurving single
- Mature Size: 6 to 10 feet
- Fragrance: Slight
- Suggested Uses: Urban, Accent, Potted, Bonsai
- House Plant Adapative: Yes, but may require supplemental lighting to flower
- Country of Origin: USA
- Limited Conditional Warranty: Safe arrival* *Winter Shipping to cold climates should be avoid
- Extended Long Term Warranty: None
- Manufacturer:Emerald Goddess Gardens TM
- Climate: Tropical
- Color: Blue
- Special Features: Rare, slow growing, odd colored flower
- Species: Lignum vitea
- Sunlight: Best in light shade
- USDA Hardiness Zone: 9, 10, 11
- Watering: Minimal.