Ruby Red Spikemoss or Selaginella erythropus Sanguinea is a wonderfully interesting plant. Despite the delicate tropical fern-like appearance, are tough, easy to grow, quite cold hardy and not a fern at all, but does share features with ferns. They have lacy fronds, prefer to grow in moderate shade, and to be planted in fertile, well draining soil, they grow slowly, do not bloom, and adapt easily to being grown as houseplants, or outdoors.
There are many types, with the Ruby Red being one of the lesser known and most prized. The underside of the frond is a brilliant shade of ruby red that contrasts nicely with the olive to bronze green shade of the topside.
The habit is slow, low and spreading, so it is a good choice for most any shaded spot that needs ground cover; lovely as a potted or hanging basket.plant.
Selaginellas are a great way to bring in a bit of the exotic, lush look of tropical plants without the work and worry that is typically needed to successfully grow tropicals outside their recommended Zone range.
Condition: One (1) Well rooted, starter size plant growing and shipped in a 4 inch diameter plastic pot. Plant will be a minimum of about 2-3 inches tall x 4 inches wide. This is a low growing ground cover plant.
*Limited Conditional Warranty: Warranty is limited to guaranteeing plants will arrive safely and in good and healthy condition, and is conditioned on Seller receiving prompt notice (within 24 hours of delivery) of any problem with the condition accompanied by photo validation. No other additional, extended or long term Warranty is expressed or implied.
- Brand: Emerald Goddess Gardens
- Common Name: Ruby Spikemoss
- Bloom Form: None
- Mature Size: 2-3 inches x 6 to 8 inches
- Fragrance: None
- Suggested Uses: Shade Rock Garden Pots Baskets
- House Plant Adapative: Yes
- Country of Origin: USA
- Limited Conditional Warranty: Healthy Arrival
- Extended Long Term Warranty: None
- Manufacturer:Emerald Goddess Gardens TM
- Climate: Temperate
- Color: Green and Red
- Special Features: Interesting color and texture, cold tolerant
- Species: Selaginella erythropus Sanguinea
- Sunlight: Moderate Shade
- USDA Hardiness Zone: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Watering: Moderate