Dietes iridioides or African Iris are evergreen lily like perennials with long, stiff, leathery sword-like leaves. They grow in fan shape similar to daylilies and spread from rhizomes into good sized 2 ft clumps. These are also called Japanese Iris or Fortnight Lilies.
The flowers are short lived, lasting only a day or two at most, and are the classic 3 petals and 3 sepal configuration of most all iris in milky white with a small brown dotted pattern near the center, yellow markings on each of the large petals and a bright blue stigma rising from the center. Bloom begins to appear early in the spring and in late January to February when few things are lively.
The African Iris is an easy to care for, versatile plant that can be made a part of any garden from Zone 8 to 11. It can be used in mixed perennial beds, mass planted for a striking Spring statement. It will tolerate a wide range of soil conditions and adapt to soils that are consistently moist like creek banks and pond edges.
Condition: One (1) Well rooted, starter size plant growing and shipped in a 4 inch diameter plastic pot. Plant will be a minimum of about 6 to 8 inches tall and unlikely to have bloom or bud at the time of shipping.
*Limited Conditional Warranty: Warranty is limited to guaranteeing plants will arrive safely and in good and healthy condition, and is conditioned on Seller receiving prompt notice (within 24 hours of delivery) of any problem with the condition accompanied by photo validation. No other additional, extended or long term Warranty is expressed or implied.
- Brand: Emerald Goddess Gardens
- Common Name: African Iris, Fortnight Lily
- Bloom Form: 3 Petaled Single
- Mature Size: 2 to 3 feet
- Fragrance: None
- Suggested Uses: Mixed Perennials, Low Hedge, Color Statement
- House Plant Adapative: Yes, may require supplemental lighting
- Country of Origin: USA
- Limited Conditional Warranty: Healthy Arrival
- Extended Long Term Warranty: None
- Manufacturer:Emerald Goddess Gardens TM
- Climate: Tropical Subtropical
- Color: White, Purple, Yellow
- Special Features: Beautiful Flowers Early in Season
- Species: Dietes iridoides
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- USDA Hardiness Zone: 8, 9, 10, 11
- Watering: Heavy