Callicarpas are a large genus of more than 200 species, commonly called Beautyberry or Beauty Berry. Most are upright growing shrubs that produce small white to pinkish flowers in the summer that are followed by clusters of 5 to 10 cm berries in Fall. Pale pink to lavender blooms attract pollinators and berries are a food source for birds and other foragers.
Callicarpa dichomata (commonly called Japanese Beautyberry or Issia) is native to Asia. It is often preferred to or mixed with native North American species because of the more compact growth habit and earlier fruiting.
It matures as a compact, rounded shrub between 2 to 4 feet tall. The showy Fall display of bluish purple to violet berries typically begins in late September. Plants will begin to set berries when young (which is the loosely translated meaning of the word 'Issia'). The plant is deciduous (leaves drop off in the winter). Berries will remain on the bare branches for a short time, but typically begin to drop off soon after the plant enters winter dormancy.
Japanese Beautyberry is easy to grow, requires little maintenance, has few pest problems and is generally not disturbed by deer.
Plant in fertile, well-draining soil. Beautyberries bloom and set berries on new growth, so prune in the Spring and early Summer to shape, control size, and encourage fullness and branching. Then place your chair in concealed location where you can enjoy the view as the birds and butterflies enjoy the fruit of your labor.
Condition: One (1) Well rooted, starter size plant growing and shipped in a 4 inch diameter plastic pot. Plant will be a minimum of about 6 to 8 inches tall and unlikely to have bloom or bud at the time of shipping.
*Limited Conditional Warranty: Warranty is limited to guaranteeing plants will arrive safely and in good and healthy condition, and is conditioned on Seller receiving prompt notice (within 24 hours of delivery) of any problem with the condition accompanied by photo validation.
No other additional, extended or long term Warranty is expressed or implied.
- Brand: Emerald Goddess Gardens
- Common Name: Japanese Beauty Berry or Beautyberry
- Bloom Form: Cyme
- Mature Size: 2 to 5 feet
- Fragrance: None
- Suggested Uses: Border, Background, Wildlife Habitat, Pollinator
- House Plant Adapative: Not Recommended
- Country of Origin: US
- Limited Conditional Warranty: Healthy Arrival
- Extended Long Term Warranty: None
- Manufacturer:Emerald Goddess GardensTM
- Climate: Moist continental mid-latitude
- Color: White Flowers Bluish Purple Berry
- Special Features: Showy berries, attractive to pollinators and birds
- Species: Callicarpa Dichotoma
- Sunlight: Full sun to part shade
- USDA Hardiness Zone: 5b, 5a, 6b, 6a, 7b, 7a, 8b, 8a
- Watering: Moderate