Banana Bush or Banana Shrub is a large growing flowering perennial that is native to China. It is a member of the magnolia family, and was introduced into the United States in the 1700's.
The common name Banana Shrub is so called because the buttery yellow to cream flowers, reminiscent of magnolia blossoms, that appear in the spring have a distinctive, sweet smell very similar to ripe bananas.
The blossoms begin to emerge from long cigar shaped buds in mid to late Spring, and are made up of 6 waxy cream to buttery yellow petals with pretty ruby red to purple margins.
The shrub grows large, but is a slow growing, well branching evergreen bush with deep green, glossy, slightly elongated leaves.
The growth habit is large, branching and rounded and will reach heights of as much as 15 feet, but can easily be maintained at lower heights in a hedge form. Relationship to bananas is just a similar smell.
The name Banana Shrub comes from the fragrance of the flowers. Neither the plant, nor the flowers are not edible.
Condition: One (1) Well rooted, starter size plant growing and shipped in a 4 inch diameter plastic pot. Plant will be a minimum of about 6 to 8 inches tall and unlikely to have bloom or bud at the time of shipping.
*Limited Conditional Warranty: Warranty is limited to guaranteeing plants will arrive safely and in good and healthy condition, and is conditioned on Seller receiving prompt notice (within 24 hours of delivery) of any problem with the condition accompanied by photo validation. No other additional, extended or long term Warranty is expressed or implied.
- Brand: Emerald Goddess Gardens
- Common Name: Banana Bush or Shrub
- Bloom Form: Open cupped magnolia like single
- Mature Size: 12 to 15 feet
- Fragrance: Yes
- Suggested Uses: Hedge, Boundary, Specimen, Brackets, Mixed Perennials
- House Plant Adapative: Yes, but may require supplemental lighting to flower
- Country of Origin: USA
- Limited Conditional Warranty: Healthy Arrival
- Extended Long Term Warranty: None
- Manufacturer:Emerald Goddess Gardens TM
- Climate: Temperate
- Color: Yellow to cream w red
- Special Features: Showy flowers, unusual fragrance
- Species: Michelia figo
- Sunlight: Full sun to light shade
- USDA Hardiness Zone: 7, 8, 9,10
- Watering: Moderate