The Bleeding Heart Vine or Balloon Flower is a wonderful old southern heirloom plant, not to be confused with Dicentras which are also commonly called Bleeding Heart Vine.
This plant is a part of the Verbena family and is a semi tropical that is native to West Africa. It is often seen in dappled shady corners of old Southern Landscapes. It is a loose, open growing vine like shrub with large shiny blackish green leaves that blooms in hanging boughs of deep rose pink calyxes from which a bright blood red heart-shaped droplet of petals called corollae protrude.
Legend has it that the plant sprung from the tears of a heart broken maiden, which just adds to its charm and allure.
This plant makes a thoughtful and meaningful commemorative or nostalgic gift. It is easy to grow, can be adapted to grow indoors (supplemental light may be required for bloom).
Condition: One (1) Well rooted, starter size plant growing and shipped in a 4 inch diameter plastic pot. Plant will be a minimum of about 6 to 8 inches tall and unlikely to have bloom or bud at the time of shipping.\n\n *Limited Conditional Warranty: Warranty is limited to guaranteeing plants will arrive safely and in good and healthy condition, and is conditioned on Seller receiving prompt notice (within 24 hours of delivery) of any problem with the condition accompanied by photo validation. No other additional, extended or long term Warranty is expressed or implied.
- Brand: Emerald Goddess Gardens
- Common Name: Bleeding Heart
- Bloom Form: Unique to the species
- Mature Size: 6 to 10 feet
- Fragrance: None
- Suggested Uses: Trellis or other support, free flowing bush
- House Plant Adapative: Yes, but may require supplemental lighting to flower
- Country of Origin: USA
- Limited Conditional Warranty: Healthy Arrival
- Extended Long Term Warranty: None
- Manufacturer:Emerald Goddess Gardens TM
- Climate: Semi-Tropical
- Color: Pink Red
- Special Features: Showy bloom, easy to grow
- Species: Clerodendrum speciousos
- Sunlight: Best in light to moderate shade
- USDA Hardiness Zone: 8, 9, 10, 11]
- Watering: Moderate