Selaginella uncinata (also known as Peacock Fern or Rainbow Moss) is one of a wonderfully interesting plant family that have a delicate and tropical fern-like appearance, but are actually very tough, easy to grow, moderately cold hardy and not a fern at all. They share many characteristic with ferns beyond their cosmetic appearance.
The growth habit is slow, low growing and spreading, and so, are a good choice for most any shaded spot that needs ground cover. It is also lovely as a potted plant or hanging basket, and is great choice for dish gardens and terrariums, but unlike many ferns, Selaginellas are moderately cold tolerant, and can be successfully grown outdoors in Zones 6 to 10A.
The common name, Peacock Fern or Rainbow Moss, comes from the varying, shimmery, iridescent, blue green and bronze red coloring of the lacy, fern-like foliage, which will vary based on season, light levels, and nutritional levels.
Selaginellas go fully dormant in the winter in all climates.
Condition: One (1) Well rooted, starter size plant growing and shipped in a 4 inch diameter plastic pot. Plant will be a minimum of about 6 to 8 inches tall and unlikely to have bloom or bud at the time of shipping.
*Limited Conditional Warranty: Warranty is limited to guaranteeing plants will arrive safely and in good and healthy condition, and is conditioned on Seller receiving prompt notice (within 24 hours of delivery) of any problem with the condition accompanied by photo validation. No other additional, extended or long term Warranty is expressed or implied.
- Brand: Emerald Goddess Gardens
- Common Name: Peacock or Rainbow Fern
- Bloom Form: None
- Mature Size: 4 inches x 12 inches
- Fragrance: None
- Suggested Uses: Rock Gardens, Ground Cover, Baskets, Pots
- House Plant Adapative: Yes
- Country of Origin: USA
- Limited Conditional Warranty: Healthy Arrival
- Extended Long Term Warranty: NONE
- Manufacturer:Emerald Goddess Gardens TM
- Climate: Tropical
- Color: Iridescent Blue Green Foliage
- Special Features: Unusual Iridescent Folaige
- Species: Selaginella uncinata
- Sunlight: Light Shade
- USDA Hardiness Zone: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Watering: Moderate