Ipomea horsefallia briggsii or Prince Kuhio Vine is a somewhat rare and lesser known selected cultivar of a fast growing flowering vine believed to be native to the Caribbean and South America, however since it may have become naturilized in some of these areas through introduction, there is little information readily available as to true origin.
It is commonly known by several common names; Prince Kuhio Vine, Cardinal Creeper and Lady Briggs Morning Glory. It is related to the Morning Glory and the Sweet Potato.
This cultivar and the species are commonly called Prince Kuhio Vine, as legend has it the Hawaiian Prince was fond of the plant and had it planted in the garden of the Royal Palace at Waikiki , where the species can can still be found today.
The Briggsii cultivar is a more rare, selected cultivar of the species that has a longer blooming cycle and somewhat larger, darker and more intensely colored flowers, and is more difficult to germinate and propagate than the species.
This vine produces stunning violet to red toned magenta trumpet shaped flowers during the winter months that are showcased nicely by large, waxy, shiny, sharply lobed foliage. A brown seed pod capsule follows the flower containing a very hard brown seed that is exceedingly difficult to germinate.
Although this vine is root hardy and will resprout from frost damage, being a winter bloomer, it will be unable to flower that season as a result. For the best overall, year round appearance, and best flowering, cold protection is recommended in all Zones.
Condition: One (1) Well rooted, starter size plant growing and shipped in a 4 inch diameter plastic pot. Plant will be a minimum of about 4 to 8 inches tall and unlikely to have bloom or bud at the time of shipping.
*Limited Conditional Warranty: Warranty is limited to guaranteeing plants will arrive safely and in good and healthy condition, and is conditioned on Seller receiving prompt notice (within 24 hours of delivery) of any problem with the condition accompanied by photo validation.
No other additional, extended or long term Warranty is expressed or implied.
- Brand: Emerald Goddess Gardens TM
- Common Name: Prince Kuhio Vine, Cardinal Creeper, Briggs Morning Glory
- Bloom Form: Slender Trumpet
- Mature Size: 10 feet runners
- Fragrance: None
- Suggested Uses: Fence, Trellis, Support, Basket, Planter, Feature, Focal, Hummin
- House Plant Adapative: Yes, but may require supplemental light to flower
- Country of Origin: USA
- Limited Conditional Warranty: Healthy Arrival
- Extended Long Term Warranty: None
- Manufacturer:Emerald Goddess Gardens TM
- Climate: Semi-Tropical
- Color: Magenta Red
- Special Features: Showy flowers, bloom in winter
- Species: Ipomea horsefalliae briggsii
- Sunlight: Full sun to very light shade
- USDA Hardiness Zone: 8, 9, 10, 11
- Watering: Moderate