Asclepias or Tropical Milkweed is an upright, open growing flowering perennial native to the American tropics. It is cultivated worldwide for its showy flowers and ability to attract butterflies, especially Monarch and Queen. Plants grow fast and upright, and generally mature between 3 and 4 feet tall. The narrow, oblong, pointed lance-shaped leaves grow in opposite pairs, spaced out along pale gray green stems filled with a milky sap. Flowers composed of a bright yellow ring of sepals crowned by a gold orange corolla.
Milkweed is easy to grow, will thrive in a wide range of soil types and is quite drought tolerant once well established.
Flowers begin to appear in mid to late spring and continue almost year round. It is generally evergreen in Zones 9B, 10, 11. In Zones 9A and 8B, well established plants will generally freeze to the ground and resprout in the spring.
The flowers are attractive to butterflies, especially Monarchs. Its a great choice for butterfly gardens and mixed perennial beds and borders and requires little care or maintenance.
Condition: One (1) Well rooted, starter size plant growing and shipped in a 4 inch diameter plastic pot. Plant will be a minimum of about 6 to 8 inches tall and unlikely to have bloom or bud at the time of shipping
. *Limited Conditional Warranty: Warranty is limited to guaranteeing plants will arrive safely and in good and healthy condition, and is conditioned on Seller receiving prompt notice (within 24 hours of delivery) of any problem with the condition accompanied by photo validation. No other additional, extended or long term Warranty is expressed or implied.
- Brand: Emerald Goddess Gardens
- Common Name: Milkweed
- Bloom Form: Five petaled single
- Mature Size: 2 to 3 feet
- Fragrance: None
- Suggested Uses: Butterfly garden, mixed perennials, background, potted
- House Plant Adapative: Not Recommended
- Country of Origin: USA
- Limited Conditional Warranty: Healthy Arrival
- Extended Long Term Warranty: None
- Manufacturer:Emerald Goddess Gardens TM
- Climate: Tropical
- Color: Yellow
- Special Features: Easy, fast growing, colorful, butterfly host
- Species: Asclepias curassavica
- Sunlight: Best in full sun to very light shade
- USDA Hardiness Zone: 9, 10, 11
- Watering: Moderate