Cornutia grandiflora is a lesser-known, large growing, flowering tropical shrub that is native to Costa Rica. It matures as a large upright shrub with large, fragrant, velvet-textured, sage green foliage and unusual square-shaped stems.
Large racemes of purple and lavender flowers appear at the terminal ends in a long bloom cycle beginning in late Spring through early Summer. It is often called Tropical or Jamaican Lilac. However it is the leaves and not the flowers that have a fragrance that is described as similar to lilacs.
The flowers are attractive to bees, so this plant is a great choice for Pollinator and Habitat Gardens. It can be incorporated into mixed perennial beds, grown as a large hedge, or in large garden pots and requires little care or maintenance.
If you have purchased these plants for a habitat area, please note we recommend all plants for habitat use, from any source, be quarantined for 30 days before introducing them into the habitat.
Condition: One (1) Well rooted, starter size plant growing and shipped in a 4 inch diameter plastic pot. Plant will be a minimum of about 6 to 8 inches tall and unlikely to have bloom or bud at the time of shipping.
*Limited Conditional Warranty: Warranty is limited to guaranteeing plants will arrive safely and in good and healthy condition, and is conditioned on Seller receiving prompt notice (within 24 hours of delivery) of any problem with the condition accompanied by photo validation. No other additional, extended or long term Warranty is expressed or implied.
- Brand: Emerald Goddess Gardens
- Common Name: Tropical or Jamaican Lilac
- Bloom Form: Raceme
- Mature Size: 10 feet +
- Fragrance: Leaves have a crisp clean fragrance suggestive of lilacs
- Suggested Uses: Hedge, specimen, boundary, background mixed perennial, large gar
- House Plant Adapative: Not recommended except for cut flower uses
- Country of Origin: USA
- Limited Conditional Warranty: Healthy Arrival
- Extended Long Term Warranty: None
- Manufacturer:Emerald Goddess Gardens (R)
- Climate: Tropical
- Color: Lavender
- Special Features: Fragrant foliage, unusual square stem,, attracts pollinators
- Species: Cornutia grandiflora
- Sunlight: Full sun to light shade
- USDA Hardiness Zone: 9, 10, 11
- Watering: Moderate