Ruellia simplex, Mexican Petunia or Bluebell is fast, medium sized growing, semi tropical flowering perennial shrub that is native to the Mexico, and is best known for season long abundant color, as well as a tendency to escape from the designated planting area. This cultivar is a deep blue toned purple and grows wild along the roadsides and ditch banks of Central and South America.
Mexican Bluebell is very easy to grow and expands quickly; this trait makes it great filler for beds requiring quick color, but also comes at the expense of necessary maintenance. These plants will spread through seed and rhizomes. To prevent excess spread, trim Mexican Bluebell aggressively after blooming.
They are perpetual bloomers requiring little maintenance beyond occasional routine pruning to control a tendency to become leggy with age and feeding. The flowers are bright colored, five petaled petunia-like singles that are present nearly every day from early spring to early winter in most climates.
Condition: One (1) Well rooted, starter size plant growing and shipped in a 4 inch diameter plastic pot. Plant will be a minimum of about 6 to 8 inches tall and unlikely to have bloom or bud at the time of shipping.
*Limited Conditional Warranty: Warranty is limited to guaranteeing plants will arrive safely and in good and healthy condition, and is conditioned on Seller receiving prompt notice (within 24 hours of delivery) of any problem with the condition accompanied by photo validation.
No other additional, extended or long term Warranty is expressed or implied.
- Brand: Emerald Goddess Gardens
- Common Name: Mexican Petunia
- Bloom Form: Five petal single
- Mature Size: 2 to 4 feet
- Fragrance: None
- Suggested Uses: Borders, Filler, Ground Cover, Mixed Perennials, Potted
- House Plant Adapative: Yes, but may require supplemental light to flower
- Country of Origin: USA
- Limited Conditional Warranty: Healthy Arrival
- Extended Long Term Warranty: None
- Manufacturer:Emerald Goddess Gardens TM
- Climate: Semi-Tropical
- Color: Purple
- Special Features: Easy to grow, colorful, perpetual, nearly year round bloomer
- Species: Ruellia simplex
- Sunlight: Full sun to light shade
- USDA Hardiness Zone: 8B, 9, 10, 11
- Watering: Moderate